Mittwoch, 10. November 2010

The Bite of The Night - by Howard Barker

I stole this from Howard Barker via Samya Kaleb
They brought a woman from the street 
And made her sit in the stalls 
By threats 
By bribes 
By flattery 
Obliging her to share a little of her life with actors 
But I don't understand art 
Sit still, they said But I don't want to see sad things 
Sit still, they said 
And she listened to everything 
Understanding some things 
But not others 
Laughing rarely, and always without knowing why 
Sometimes suffering disgust 
Sometimes thoroughly amazed 
And in the light again said 
If that's art I think it is hard work 
It was beyond me 
So much of it beyond my actual life 
But something troubled her 
Something gnawed her peace 
And she came a second time, armoured with friends 
Sit still, she said 
And again, she listened to everything 
This time understanding different things 
This time untroubled that some things 
Could not be understood 
Laughing rarely but now without shame 
Sometimes suffering disgust 
Sometimes thoroughly amazed 
And in the light again said 
That is art, it is hard work 
And one friend said, too hard for me 
And the other said if you will I will come again 
Because I found it hard I felt honoured.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen